The elderflower fizz which I made following the inspiring forqaging day has developed rather suspect growth at the top of the bottle. ‘m not sure I like the idea of wild yeasts after all. I drank one bottle (the smaller one) with a certain amount of trepidation. It was mildly fizzy, pleasantly flavoured. I broached the bigger bottle yeasterday and it was pretty flat so in desperation I dropped a few grains of bakers yeast in it. I don’t think that will work very well because it’s not bred for alcohol tolerance.
Next time (which wil probably be next year now) I will pour boiling water on the flower heads and sugar, then top up with cold boiled water and add wine making yeast so i feel more confidant in what I’m drinking.
After looking online, no way would I use glass bottles for this.
The rose flavour is very strong as well. The roses were dark pink, and I think this paid off.
The second batch was a lost label rose sold to me as a shrub rose but which has a rambling habit in this garden. It has a lovely scent, but flowers just once. The petals are a light pink. The colour of this one wasn’t so good, rather brown, and I think I managed to caramelise it slightly.
Both are far too thick, more like toffee. I added some boiled water to the jar of the second. Hopefully this will make it runnier, but I’m not too sanguine. I think it will set solid, not good in a glass jar.
So in future I will use 45 to 50 ml water, to 1/2 lb sugar and a cup of rose petals, and not cook it so long. I will try to remember that hot syrup is runnier than cold and to not let it thicken up too much.
Apart from that, I think it’s a lovely conserve to make.